Sunday, September 15, 2019

WoW 23




Some people crumble with adversity and some shine.  In the movie Mulan, the Emperor was talking to Shane and he imparted "the flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."  The ability to flourish in the midst of adversity is a gift.  Not a single person I know likes it when things do not go their way.  We build our character when we go through the tough times.  If life was a piece of cake day in and day out, how would we grow and develop.  Getting your child to understand and accept that concept can be difficult and may require lesson after lesson.  It is a good idea to ponder  and reflect back on life. 



The musical Hamilton, has so many worth while quotes in their song lyrics.  Let's dig into the song "My Shot".  "I'm passionately smashin' every expectation".  If you break it down, to me, all he is saying is that he enjoys proving everyone wrong.  He is willing and capable of accomplishing what he sets out to do.  He doesn't just put forth the minimal amount of effort, he "passionately" smashes it. Any thing that you do takes effort.  Why not do it with passion?  The reward will be spectacular.  How do you teach your child that it is just as important to put the passion into activities that are not their favorite as it is to the activities they love. I don't know, I don't have all of the answers but what I do know is that I try to instill in my child the desire to "passionately smash every expectation".




I vividly remember taking my daughter to see the movie "Brave" in 2012.  Leaving the theater and writing down the lines in the closing scene.   Merida is on a horse ride with her mother.  Her monologue is  "There are those who say fate is something beyond our command.  That destiny is not our own, but I know better.  Our fate lives within us.  You only have to be brave enough to see it. " How do  you see fate?  As a noun or a verb?  I chose to see it as a verb.  
God gives you the necessary tools to accomplish what He sets before you.  Are you going to be passive with the attitude of "things are beyond my control" so I just go with the flow or are you going to be pro-active and work hard to accomplish what is set before you?  It made a huge impression on me at the time.  My daughter thinks she has chosen her path in life.  She loves musical theatre.  It is something that lives inside her.  She has been brave enough to see it.  Now is she brave enough to do the work that is required to achieve her fate?  My job as a parent is to help her.  I can not do the work for her but I can help her value work ethic.  She is her only limit.



We live in a world where kids do not want to draw attention to themselves and just want to fit in.  "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud !"  The older we get, we should stop caring so much about what others think.  The true trail blazers in society are those who are able to think for themselves.  They are not regulated by what others think or do.  Teaching our children to be trail blazers can be challenging.  But if Coco Chanel can do it, so can they 😉.



No comments:

Post a Comment